Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Few of My Heros

Last week I flew back to Salt Lake City to meet with a doctor that literally knows me inside and out!!  He has become one of my biggest HEROS since after fourteen years of meeting with what seems like hundreds of doctors and specialists worldwide, he was the first one to diagnose the reason for over a decade I have been constantly sick and literally caused more hospital stays than I want to remember!! 
 Obviously, because of the procedures he was just about to perform,  this was again not my most favorable of places to meet up with Dr. Heiner.   However, this time I was looking forward to seeing  him-- hoping for good news on my recovery, and to sincerely thank him for the healthiest year I have had in fourteen years. Thanks to his professionalism, diligence, and several biopsies, one year ago Dr. Heiner was finally able to diagnose me with a rare type of ecoli bacteria (tropical sprue) which has been flaring in the bottom part of my intestines for years.  Since the diagnosis, he has helped to prescribe medications, and  a recovery plan for me that physically now,  I feel like a new person!!  My return to see Dr. Heiner this time was to repeat the procedures, so he would be able to analyze the extent (if any),that recovery and healing was taking place in my intestines.  Being that this was going to be the 15th time (or even more)  I have had this procedure, I felt I was an expert in knowing exactly what to expect, and even found myself catching up with a few of the nurses during my pre-op, since I have become very familiar with a few of them over the years.  I will probably never know where I picked up the e-coli bacteria many years ago that has completely damaged my intestines, and caused years and years of pain and sickness.  However,  I definitely do know what a blessing a healthy body is, and how much a person can learn from personal trials and adversities. 


And like the saying goes....."there is always light at the end of a dark tunnel", so is the case with my e-coli drama. Waking up from the anesthesia after the procedure, I prayed it wasn't just my groggy state dreaming
up the fact there was positive healing happening in the miles and miles of intestines down there, but in fact, Dr. Heiner was happy to verify again and again for me, that things were LOOKING GOOD (:

And speaking of good things, Check out this GREAT little thing I was able to meet for the first time while I was in SLC.  Truly the most adorable little bundle, and the newest addition to the Wilde side.  John's youngest sister Carrie, and her husband Tyler are the proud parents of their third little girl, MOLLIE NEVENNER!  Seriously, they don't get cuter than this!!


And talk about CUTE......I was ecstatic when I found out I would also be able to catch one of Lauren's dance competitions while I was in Utah.  Having all boys, I vicariously live my love of dancing and frills through my darling nieces. Thanks Lauren for a great afternoon of PURE GIRL FUN!!


Not only do I have the cutest nieces, but the cutest nephews too!!  One of these cutest little nephews of mine celebrated his first birthday this week!  Cannon Rigby Copeland, along with his sweet family are positively some of my biggest HEROS!!  There is not a day that goes by without a prayer in our home for precious little Cannon.  Indeed I am A LOT older than my second to youngest brother Kent and his wife Natalie, but because of their examples of continued faith, hope, and optimism, they are truly giants in my eyes.  Cannon was born with "Menkes disease", and already his little body has faced many health obstacles.  However, the love of little Cannon has been spread world wide, and that is A LOT OF LOVE!


So many reasons for this family to celebrate Cannon, but this past weekend's birthday party was something I would have loved to attend.  His big day was a reason to celebrate on so many levels, and we were excited to hear ALL the details of the day.  This e-mail was awaiting me upon my arrival back to Shanghai-------


Family-

Thank you for all the birthday wishes that the family sent out to Cannon.  He had a truly memorable birthday!

Tuesday night close to 150 people showed up to his birthday party.  The community really came out to support us.  We had birthday cake and everyone was able to write a wish for Cannon.  At 6:30pm everyone went outside on a clear nice night and we lit wish lanterns and sang "happy birthday" to Cannon.  As we ended singing happy birthday, everyone at once let the wish lanterns go in the sky.  Everyone was amazed to see the sky fill with the lanterns.  It was a great night.  I will send pictures. 

The local newspaper was there taking pictures and interviewed me for an article in the paper.  The article came out yesterday and it was the full back page.  I will send all of you the article.  It was really nice.  It talked about Cannon, our family and Menkes Disease.

March 1st will always be very meaningful to us.  Cannon is such an amazing boy.  We love him so much. 

Thanks,

Kent

THANKS TO YOU KENT, NATALIE, LITTLE CANNON, DR. HEINER, AND ALL THE OTHER MANY HEROS THAT CONTINUE TO BLESS OUR LIFE!!

12 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

What a special, wonderful blog on so many levels! We love the fact that you are doing so well. After many, many years of fasting, prayers, and waiting for a miracle to happen, the Lord has truly blessed you with your health again. Tyler and Carrie's little girl is just beautiful! And, yes, we are so happy that little Cannon was born into our family and taught us the true meaning of what is important in life. Thanks for reminding us of all these beautiful blessings we have on earth.

Jennifer Anderson said...

Alison-you are so awesome. I am so glad you share all these amazing moments in your life--you are such a good writer! I am so happy to hear that you are healthy and feeling so great. Sounds like you had a fun trip with lots of special people!!

Tracey said...

We are so glad that your helath is improving all the time!! I don't know what would have happened to our family if you had been sick the whole time we were in Shanghai. We were blessed that your health was improving then!!! Keep getting better!!!!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

What a blessing to finally discover what was going on with your health and now for you to be feeling so well!!! Yes, thanks for sharing all of your heroes and for always describing your experiences and feelings so well! You truly are a gifted writer!

molly kay said...

Hooray for a wonderful doctor who finally got you the help you needed! I have always prayed for you and I hope you continue to get better & better!Hopefully, it won't be too terribly long before you get some "girl" time with Brighton and I! xxoo

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

I loved this post! Especially the part where you were finally able to put a name to the "purple sweater disease." ;)

If this were my post...YOU would be listed as one of my heros. I'm so grateful to have you as a sister AND as a wonderful example.

xoxo

Deidra said...

So glad you are doing better. It just takes one doctor who takes the time to figure out these mystery diagnoses.

FYI: We just found out, we are coming to China sometime in May! Yea! Wish we were going to be in your neck of the woods! :(

Ang said...

Glad to hear you're doing better! I'm so sorry for all the health trauma you've had to go through. And what a sweet tribute to Cannon and his family. You Copelands rock and I'm so grateful to call you family. Such amazing examples... all of you.

Beverly said...

Your story of persistence and determination to find a solution to your health problem is inspirational. Thank goodness for that wonderful doctor who was truly prepared to diagnose your issues correctly. Since you have accomplished much through the difficult health times, it will be fun to watch you now that you are almost back to healthy. So happy for you, Alison, and very inspired by your sense of gratitude for everything and everyone in your life.

Brooke Romney said...

I am so glad that there was good news. You deserve it and what sweet things to be a part of in Utah!!

Dave & Kami said...

I missed seeing you too. Kim said it was great to see you. I am soo grateful they finally figured out what was wrong with you. I hope you continue to feel better! love ya cope!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that your health is improving. What a blessing for you and your entire family. These experiences of mortality seem to really try us. You are an inspiration to me as well as a hero! Love, Aunt Denise