Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I need to go NOW!!!!

Everyone who has had a succesfully potty-trained child knows how wonderful it is to not have to buy or change diapers anymore.  It makes life so much easier EXCEPT for the times when you are out and about and your child in a panic tells you "I need to go NOW", and there are no bathrooms around.  This exact situation happened to us today in the middle of Shanghai where bathrooms are already few and far between.
Preston has done fabulously with  potty-training.  However, when he tells us he needs to go "NOW", he usually only gives us 20 seconds max before its just too late.  So, today when he voiced his warning, it was a panic not only for him, but also for mom to find a bathroom and FAST!! 
The first instinct was to do the ever popular Chinese way and find any random tree or bush.  However, this being the biggest pet peeve of many foreigners (including mine), I just could not follow suite.  I quickly asked a sweet Chinese worker standing outside of her shop where the nearest bathroom was, and headed that way.  Luckily seconds later we found it-----

Forgetting that this was the first time Preston has actually "seen" or "used" a Chinese public toilet before he was completely confused as to where I had just brought him, and pointing wondered, "WHAT IS THAT???"
Laughing, I tried to explain to him that it was a "toilet," and that he should just hurry and go!  Still confused, he asked "WHERE should I go??", and for the first time raising four boys I happily told him "ANYWHERE, don't worry about hitting a target!!"
Leaving the bathroom, we placed our "entrance fee" of a few coins on the small wooden table, smiled, and gave the Chinese workers who manage the bathroom a friendly "xie xie!"

The adventures of living in China--- WE LOVE IT!


5 comments:

Deidra said...

A trough? Yikes! At least you just have boys, right?

Laura Copeland said...

This brings back too many memories of "bathrooms" on our Chinese trip--most of them not pleasant! Hah!

Ang said...

How funny! You'll never forget that moment. I still can't believe that's how the Chinese "go". I can't imagine what it's like to spend more than a few seconds in there.

molly kay said...

I thought that one bathroom in Paris that day you, me, and Thomas went out and got ice cream was bad! I could not go in it even though I had to go SOOO bad! Yours is downright scary! I guess they just wipe it up or what??!

Tami said...

I'm proud of you for keeping with your american standards and not resorting to peeing on the sidewalk! Poor little guy. That had to be so confusing for him...and funny for you!! :)