The next day was like Christmas to the boys! Who knew emptying a suitcase could bring so much suspense and joy? And even more, who knew that cinnamon bears, jolly ranchers, or a pair of Lebron James headphones (Parker....) could bring so much happiness?? When I had finally emptied the suitcase, I told the boys I had one more thing I brought home that would make them the happiest of all. While I was at John's parents house, one of their sweet neighbors (Paul and Julie Emmer) who have known John since he was just a little boy, and had been his Sunday School teacher many years ago recently came upon this, and brought it over to give to me. After reading it to myself, I was touched, and couldn't wait to share it with the boys back at home.
As a family, together we read and studied the hand written testimony our Dad wrote so many years ago, that later was pasted in the front of a Book of Mormon and given to an investigator of the church. After a few comments such as "Wow Dad, your handwriting hasn't even changed in so many years", or "Dad, did you type that on a typewriter since you guys didn't even have computers back then?" we were able to talk about how we gain a personal testimony of what we believe, and how people gain a testimony at different times in their life. When I looked back at the date this testimony was written, I realized it was just a few months after John and I's first date. Knowing John for so many years, I knew he had a testimony in high school, but now after 18 years of marriage, I am without a doubt of the strength of his testimony and the importance and priority it is in his life. I am extremely grateful for his example, and the example he is to myself and our boys. This copy of his testimony, and the gift of gaining our own personal testimony will truly always be our prized possesion.




10 comments:
What a priceless treasure! So glad you got to stock up on cinnamon bears, headphones and what matters most: testimony!
What a beautiful testimony! This is such a treasure for your family to have known that he had it at such a crucial age in his life. That testimony is what has made John the great man that he is! Thanks for sharing that with us!
I loved this! And have tears running down my face. I always knew I liked that Johnny.... ;)
Glad you were able to have such a great time in Utah. I was hoping I could fly out and surprise you. How fun it would have been to spend a week with you! Maybe soon...
xoxo,
Ames
PS: Thanks again for the Hello Kitty material. I can't wait to make Lola's blankie!!!! Pictures to follow soon.
Alison,
What a priceless piece of history for your family, especially your boys--even more evidence that their father has been the exemplary person throughout his life.
Of all the gifts you brought back to your family, the hand-written testimony will be the most priceless. You are such a woman of strenght to know what is really important to your boys!
Is everything alright with your health?
That is priceless! Goes to show we never know what choices will come back to haunt or bless our lives...or those of our posterity. Thanks for sharing such a sweet and tender experience.
I'll be in Utah soon...you'd better let me know next time you fly solo to the US!! I'd be happy to stand in line behind all those who love you and want to see you for a quick hug!!
Very Cool!! I heard you ran into my aunt while you were here. Small World :)!
So cool that they kept that all these years and gave it to you! My boys love seeing things Thomas did as a kid- my mother in law keeps everything. I forgot to tell you and I think you will get a kick out of this- if my baby is a girl- I love the name Brighton. It only works because I am NOT from Utah and did not go to High School there! xxoo
It's always so much fun to see you cope. You are hilarious!! Thanks for the fun laughs! Glad the boys loved your heavy baggage with all your treats. Loved Johnny testimony. You guys are such a cute family!
Post a Comment