Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Now that is COLD! Now that is AMAZING!

China is truly a fascinating country!!  There are so many "must see" places that we hope to visit.  Harbin is one of those "must see" locations in the northern most area of China (close to Russia). Because of  its geographic location, in the winter months Harbin can get to as cold as 40 below in celcius or 3 degrees F.  Regardless of its freezing temperatures, tourists flock this city every year during January-February for its popular "Ice and Snow Festival", something we heard was an absolute DO NOT MISS!  As this year's festival is close to finishing in just a couple weeks, we were sure another year had come and gone without seeing the sights.  However, thanks to a few great friends who organized a last minute Harbin get away for couples, we jumped at the chance to jet-set, packed our warmest clothing, and away we flew.

So, not only is the country amazing, but so are its people!  When the Chinese people create something, they create it times one hundred (remember the Olympics?)  We were in AWE when we first stepped into this magical city they had created from the ice they had abstracted from their frozen rivers.  Buildings, statues, monuments, walls, you name it, started as just ordinary big chunks of ICE!  It was like walking through a Disney World made of ice--(minus the hot, humid temperatures, the Disney characters, and most unfortunate, minus the yummy American theme park treats!!)
This temperature reading obviously was frozen and definitely not accurate, as temperatures when we were there dropped to -20 C (10 degrees F) --Now that is COLD--YES that is FREEZING!
 

After only a short 1/2 hour of being at the park, Alison's feet were frozen and numb, so thanks to warm-hearted John for arranging a sleigh ride for hopeful instant feet thawing.
Well, so much for instant feet thawing---our sled driver saw this more as a bobsled race, and our ride was finished in no time.  Inpatient for us to exit the sleigh, the driver quickly ushered us out and reminded us to pay him a large tip!  Feet still completely numb, we spent the next half hour in the coffee shop where we were "required" to purchase something off the menu (again...definitely not the tasty theme-park treat options).

This hat wouldn't help the feet freezing problem, but it sure was warm and cozy for a head!
The next morning we visited the snow sculpture portion of the park which was just as amazing!


With two days filled with ice, snow, and cold, we were definitely in "Eskimo mode", so we found it appropriate for our dinnertime meal to be held in an igloo!  We dined Chinese hot pot style (a fondue type of meal) with meats, veggies, and noodles of all kinds--a true Chinese experience.





Truly a great weekend, warmed with good friends, quadruple layers of clothing, and by a few more pairs of wool socks and borrowed boots (Thanks Flygares!), and an even bigger appreciation for the opportunity to live in China!

And upon returning home, we learned the best warming news that Alison's youngest brother Craigy and his wife Cassie had just given birth to their first child---Riley Chet Copeland.  Now that truly is Amazing!!  Congrats guys, we can't wait to meet him!

6 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Alison, When I first started looking at your pictures I thought, that was so great that you were able to see those sculpures, but when I realized the size of them, my jaw just dropped in amazement! Those Chinese really do things up on a grand style. Even if they would have just done the Sacred Way alone, that would have been worth it to see!

Laura Copeland said...

This is absolutely amazing!!! I can't believe how huge and beautiful all of this is--but I'm glad I'm only looking at the pictures because if it was colder than Brugge, I don't know if I could have done it!

Ang said...

Wow. That's all I gotta say. And how cool to have lunch in an igloo!

molly kay said...

OK-those scluptures are so cool- literally! But, didn't you just get back from a trip??? How would it be to just "jump at the chance" as you put it, to fly away for a couples week-end on a moments notice! Oh my friend you must move back to the real world soon! So jealous I am!!!P.S were your feet frozen before or after the wearing of the UGG boots? if you were wearing them, I guess they really don't work!

Beverly said...

Love the photos and ice sculptures. You showed us a part of the world that we may never see at this time of the year. It is so neat to see the beauty created in the world and to see how wonderful life is for many different civilizations besides our own. I continue to be amazed with human nature and our desire to live and create truly exceptional beauty with the resources around us. Thanks for taking the time to share dear Alison, one of my favorite little nieces!!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

That place is unlike anything I've ever seen!! I can't believe the experiences you and your family are having. I miss you, though!