Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Perfect Anniversary Getaway

I'm either in "party mode" lately, or I refuse to let John spend another year celebrating his birthday, our anniversary, and Father's day alone, while the rest of us are in the states for our summer vacation.  Probably a little of both, but I've decided after this past anniversary weekend John and I spent in Guilin, China, experiencing one of  THE MOST amazing places I have ever seen, I want to stay in party mode forever!

Thanks to Ping, a local Guilin tour guide, who helped me plan an itinerary that more than exceeded our expectations for "the perfect 18th anniversary getaway."  Ping we learned, studied up until the fourth grade, quit school to help her family in their rice fields, later picked up English by helping to show foreigners around her city, and now works full time as a local guide.  To Ping, life in Guilin is completely typical, or unadventful.  However, for us visiting for the first time it, was something I had only seen in books or magazines......completely National Geographic!!

From the moment Ping picked us up at the hotel, to the moment she dropped us off at the airport, our adventures did not stop.  I had never been on a more physically-demanding tour (I think Ping chose not to tell me the extent).  We hiked, we biked, we rafted, we hiked and biked, and then hiked some more.  Obviously to a farm girl this was simple stuff--John did great, and for me.....well, I'm proud to say I made it--even through major disasters like a couple chipped figernails, and my new pink tennies are now mud-colored black (:

First....Rafting down the Li River--Beautiful, Calm, Peaceful....






A quick stop for a few photos with wildlife along the way...a bit too close for me.  I think I've seen a few too many episodes of "When Animals Attack!"

Next...a full day of bike riding through the countryside....interesting and eventful to say the least.  By mid-day, legs are feeling the burn, but hardly noticing because of the surroundings.

A bit of every day life along our route.  Non-stop photo op's---mostly while riding (risky business!)


This picture literally cost me.  After taking their picture they made a blockade until I paid up.....
It was worth it for this.....

Ping's house was along our route, so we stopped and she and her husband cooked us lunch...I'm not a fan of Chinese food, but that was some good stuff!
Next stop--hiking to moon hill (or farther it seemed)



After a full day of biking and hiking.....the only remedy....


Our next adventure-bamboo rafting.....(probably not the safest of rafts-would never pass safety standards in the US, and what about Chinese crocs--just a couple of the many concerns I had here, but John didn't seem to mind (:

And just when we thought we had seen the best, it got better.  Three hours from Guilin in an extremely remote and poverty-stricken part of China is Longji--a village still known for their numerous minority groups and traditional customs.  The people were amazing, but the rice fields we hiked the entire day were undescribable.

The people here are willing to do anything for just a small bit of money.  This petite woman begged to carry our luggage to the top of the mountain to our hotel.  Following closely behind her up the steep stairs John and I felt guilty for letting her carry our bag that was probably half her weight.  I stopped a couple times before arriving at the hotel to take a breath.....she never did!


The following day, we hiked rice paddies and mountains, taking in local life, and witnessing a few traditional customs along our way. 


We met this minority group along our way who helped to dress me in a few of their wares....

I was surprised by how many friends I gained just by participating.....

But this was the biggest surprise.....

Seriously, there was nothing that could top what we had seen!  From here we hiked back down the mountain.  My mind was full of thoughts for sure, but mostly so grateful for this opportunity to see this extraordinary part of the world with such an extraordinary man I was blessed with 18 years ago!! 

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Oh, and for the next holiday we surely don't want to forget--Father's Day...does a full pack of OREO'S count (:  ??


8 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

I've been waiting for you to post all your pictures, and they certainly didn't disappoint! Wow! What an incredible adventure! You really did this anniversary up big, didn't you! Congratulations to you and John on your 18th--seems like only yesterday we were decorating the yard!

heather said...

Congratulations! What an amazing experience. The pictures are incredible. And it that their real hair???

Happy 18 years!

Dave & Kami said...

Wow! What an adventure! It looks amazing cope! Happy 18th! U guys make the cutest couple!!

Kitty Smith said...

Ok, you cute people, we want the 411 on this trip when we all get home from the States. Lee and I want to take your trip... your pictures are awesome! I wish you weren't leaving tomorrow!

Kitty

molly kay said...

Happy Anniversary!Hiking and biking? Good for you-I would want to just do the massage part! John always looks like he's about to join a golf game somewhere- even as you guys are hiking or rafting in the mountains!

Jennifer Anderson said...

What an awesome trip for you two!! I can't even imagine what it must be like to be walking thru National Geographic lands. You always take the most amazing photos and you really know how to tell the story well. I'm not quite sure if I will ever be able to come close to planning such an awesome anniversary get-away.
Hey, are you coming to VA??? you better come and see me or else you are in BIG trouble.
Thank you for all the nice comments you leave on my blog. Who is paying you??

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Wow. Those pictures are amazing!! I can't imagine what it must have been like in real life! I'm so happy for you. I still remember your wedding day like it was last year, or something like that!!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Alison and John, "Happy 18th Anniversary!" That is certainly an anniversary you will always remember. Great "National Geographic" (we've subscribed since 1972) pictures and story, Alison! Again, you and your family are having amazing experiences in China!!! We're excited to see you this summer.