Thursday, June 3, 2010

All In a Day's Fun


When Preston was first born, and even a toddler, I have to admit I was always nervous to take him out into "Shanghai life," and expose him to all the locals who would constantly want to touch him or hold him.  Because of my fear, he spent a lot of time indoors, and unfortunately we wasted a lot of precious time together to explore.  Once I got over my ridiculous fear, I soon realized how many fun things around the city there are for Preston and I to do for fun, and finally accepted the fact that he will always be a "play toy" to the Chinese for as long as we live here in China.  Since then, we have ventured out together, and he has become my favorite exploration buddy while the other boys are at school.  He is a perfect "caboose", and Chinese souvenir (since he was born here), and I will definitely miss our daily adventures next fall when he starts preschool every day!  I love taking him everywhere I go, and enjoy his quest for adventure (evident in his first question every morning....."What are we going to do today?")  From bike rides, fruit and vegetable markets,  local amusement parks, to donut runs,  here are a few of his favorite past times we love to do together just outside our front door. 
Bike Rides for Slushie
(For 99% of the Chinese people, bicycles are their main way of transportation.  Around our city of Jin Qiao, it's our way of fun---especially when we are headed to our favorite slushie spot) 


Local Public Park (.25 cent) Amusement Rides
(This is the perfect child-friendly park just down our street that Preston can spend hours at.  Twenty five cent doesn't seem like a lot for each ride until you do them a million times (:


Indoor Playground Fun
(this is my personal favorite too---not so much the slide that I almost broke my tail-bone on, but the fact that it is amazingly clean!!)


Arts and Crafts with Playgroup Pals
(Once a week Preston and his pals get together for a playgroup.  The mom in charge teaches a letter, and organizes activities and games for the group.  This particular week we were letter "K")


Fish Feeding
(Preston loves to find these ponds around the city.  If you can stand the stench, and remember your stale bread, it makes for some good fun) 


Subway rides for Donut Runs
(Not so much my favorite, but Preston LOVES taking the subway....or maybe it is the donuts available around the stations)

Photo Sightings With Chinese Mascots (for Preston---a favorite event)
(OK, I'll take these pictures over having these actual mascot stuffed animals at my house (:

Other favorite pastimes very close to home.....trampolines, bicycles, scooters, catching and hitting baseballs, basketball dribbling, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE--storytime!!  Love this little buddy, hope his energy is always this high!

4 comments:

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Such a darling, darling boy! Treasure these times because they grow up waaaaay too fast!!!

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

A-dorable. And his outfits aren't too shaby either! ;)

Isaac is going to have so much fun with P-Diddy this summer! He can't wait to go see Toy Story 3 with him!

Laura Copeland said...

I love that little Preston boy! I can't wait to see him again this summer--hopefully I can become his new velcro pad and give you a little rest!

Kitty Smith said...

That kid is such a cutie! We love being part of playgroup with Preston. :) And you are so cute on that bike! You are going to miss little Velcro boy this fall, for sure.