Congrats to Bracken for achieving his Eagle Scout Award!
The Invitation
The Program Bio
Bracken John Wilde is a senior at Shanghai American School. He has enjoyed living abroad in both Paris, France, and Shanghai, China for the past 8.5 years. Bracken has been involved in scouting for several years. Today, he joins the “Eagle’s Nest” with several cousins, uncles and his father, John Wilde. These men have been instrumental in helping Bracken strive to achieve his goal, as well as being exemplary examples of what an Eagle Scout represents. In addition, Bracken now becomes an Eagle mentor, and continues to be a wonderful role model for his three younger brothers who also plan to continue the tradition of becoming Eagle Scouts.
Bracken’s Eagle Scout project was remodeling a library, as well as supplying English and Chinese books and learning tools at “Home Sweet Home”. This Chinese organization was developed to take disabled and homeless individuals off the streets of Shanghai, and provide them not only a place to live, a remedial job, but also as give them an opportunity to take various educational classes. These classes consisted anywhere from learning basic daily life skills, to Chinese and English lessons. The remodeled library, combined with the donated books and learning materials Bracken’s Eagle Project provided, will be used to teach the particular lessons to each of these individuals at Home Sweet Home.
Bracken currently serves as the Shanghai American School Activities President. He is currently playing on the varsity baseball team, and enjoys playing basketball and golf. He has thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to travel to Indonesia and Cambodia for Habitat for Humanity, and help build homes for the less fortunate in these countries. Next year, Bracken plans to attend a university in the USA, as well as serve a church mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
John Reading a personal Letter from the United States Ambassador to the new Eagle Scouts
Bracken's Eagle Speech
John Reading a personal Letter from the United States Ambassador to the new Eagle Scouts
Bracken's Eagle Speech
Good evening and thank you for joining Will, Sam, and I tonight at our Eagle Court of Honor. I’d like to begin with a great number---#32. This number is not my jersey number for basketball, or baseball. Nor is it the amount of money that I have in my pocket right now. This number represents an accomplishment in my family. Tonight I join the Eagle’s nest with 31 other uncles and cousins, as well as my father. These people have not only paved a way for me by their examples in scouting, but also have shown me the benefits of becoming an Eagle scout.
Since completing my Eagle scout requirements, I have had time to think about what has meant the most to me through my scouting experience. Tonight I have narrowed it down to a couple thoughts that I feel are the most important.
First, I would like to speak to the scouts and leaders that have made my progress to Eagle a reality. Throughout my time in scouts, I have been under the leadership of three scoutmasters and countless assistant scoutmasters. These leaders have all been instrumental in helping me progress as a scout. I have noticed, and continue to notice the continued dedication that the leaders show to all the scouts and thank them for their continued support to me and to all the other scouts in this organization. And now a word of advice to all of you scouts. My parents have always been a source of encouragement to me and have always made one point very clear. They said, “Be involved, and Get it done”. You will notice that as you get older, your free time begins to shrink and shrink. I advise you, that even though it may seem hard with homework and extra activities to also focus on boy scouts, you will be better off by “being involved and just doing it”. In the long run you will see how by finishing scouting, you will be greatly rewarded.
Second, I want to speak to my mother and father. For those of you who do not know my mother, Alison Wilde, and my father, John Wilde, let me be the first to say that they are two of the most important figures in my life. My mother is the first half of the driving force that encouraged me to finish my Eagle. I remember late nights, when we would sit together at my computer revising, rechecking, and reviewing the written section of my Eagle project. She has supported me since the beginning of scouts, when I didn’t even have a rank, to where I am now, and I will forever be thankful for that. My father is the second half to this driving force, and can sometimes be shadowed by the fear that my mother could instill on me if something were not done right. In all honesty I feel as if I would not be here without the encouragement of my father. When problems arose and I became flustered, he would be there to help me with my problems, and would even encourage me to work them out to the tiniest detail. He has been, and continues to live up to what an Eagle Scout is, and what an Eagle Scout should be. I am thankful for a father who exerts all these qualities and look to exert those same qualities throughout my own life. Thank you mom and dad.
Third, I want to speak to my three younger brothers; Parker, Tyson, and Preston. Parker, it may seem annoying when mom and dad get mad if you do not have your scout things done. However I assure you that they are only doing it because they want what is best for you. When it is your turn to stand up here, you will realize that all the frustrations you experience are minor in the grand scheme of things. Tyson, you are only just starting your path to becoming an Eagle Scout and may not realize what is ahead of you. As one of the hardest working kids in our family I know that you will be the one to succeed in areas far beyond that of my own. As I have watched you in Cub Scouts, I can see that you have a love for learning and making new friends through scouting and encourage you to continue that. Finally, Preston, you may not fully realize the intent of boy scouts now, but you will one day. You are the most energetic kid in our family, and always find a way to put a smile on everyone around you. I love and will miss all three of you as I leave for university next year.
In closing, today I become Eagle Scout #32 in my family, but I also now am proud to represent for the rest of my life what an Eagle scout promises to be. Today I give my mentor pin to my dad, but hope to continue to be a mentor for not only my younger brothers, but those of you scouts whose future will be enriched through the experiences of being in Boy Scouts. Thank you.




9 comments:
Well done, Bracken, for achieving the rank of Eagle; Alison, for your motherly encouragement (and the wonderful blog); and John, for the great supporter of your son! (Loved Bracken's talk!!!)
I'll never forget when Tom was so close to achieving his Eagle and the deadline was about up. He was going camping with his friends Instead of staying home to gather in the loose ends. When he saw I was disappointed, he said, "Oh, Mom, you only care that I get my Eagle because that is what the Rigby's do." I said, "No, but what the Rigby's don't do is not finish what they've started!" He came home and finished his Eagle without saying anything further. The Rigby's do have a great legacy and now so does the Copeland's, the Wilde's and on and on!
This was such a fantastic posting about the wonderful Court of Honor for Bracken and the other two boys. What a beautiful evening--and how sad Grandpa and I are for not being able to attend!
Bracken, your talk was so fantastic! You really understand how all of the hard work has paid off--and it will continue to be a shining example to not only your brothers, but to everyone around you. Like you learned--"When you start something that is worthwhile, finish it!"
You have great parents who have guided and taught you so well. We love the Wilde family and appreciate all you do for all of us. Again, Congratulations, Bracken, you did it!!!
Congratulations Bracken, Alison and John! What a great accomplishment. We are so proud of you, Bracken. We know this is a hard thing to do with all of the other activities you are involved in. Austin is close but lost steam a short time ago and has recently decided he needed to finish this. He has one merit badge and his project to go. I plan to have him read your talk and hopefully it will give him more inspiration :)
Thanks for sharing,
Love you guys,
Shelly
Congratulations to Bracken (and his parents). What an accomplishment! We are so proud of you, and thankful that Ethan has cousins that are examples of what we expect in our family. We miss you all dearly and hope all is well. We love you!
Nattie and family
Congratulations, Bracken! What a fine young man he is. But of course he would be...look at his parents and family. You are a fabulous mom, Alison!
PS. I will pass this post on to Trent. He will be so pleased to hear of Bracken's achievenment. :)
Bracken
Congratulations!!! We're very proud of your accomplishment. You're a great example to your brothers and cousins. We can't wait to see you again!
Uncle Kevin
Receiving an Eagle Scout Award requires so much work from both parents as well as the young men. Looking at Bracken's bio, project and speech, he certainly seemed to meet the criteria for this wonderful award.
Alison, I loved how you organized this post with photos and explanations for future Eagles to use as an example. Please tell Bracken congratulations from the Boyle Family!!
Congrats Bracken! What a great accomplishment! Also, way to go cope. I'm sure you helped a ton in making it happen!
Post a Comment