Disclaimer.......I adore my mother-in-law, and cherish our relationship. YES, she's been accused of being paranoid on more than one occasion, and YES, I will admit I may or may not have at times been one of her accuser's. However, her possible "paranoia", or forever more what I will term "protective" nature possibly saved my life.
Over a year ago she's the one who noticed it, this crazy little mole that was tucked behind my neck hardly visible to anyone, including me. After a closer look, she advised me to get it checked out. A year later I still hadn't done it. In the meantime my sister Amy had a melanoma scare, and had surgery to remove a mole on her back. My mole still didn't seem like an issue to me. However, my mother in law still would not give up, and upon our arrival in Utah this summer she again saw the mole, and again pleaded for me to get it checked out. This time I relented, and promised her I would do it when we got to our home in San Francisco.
It couldn't have been worse timing, but when is surgery good timing?? Three days after the biopsy of the mole was taken, I received a call from the doctor telling me that I indeed had an aggressive form of melanoma, and that surgery was needed immediately to remove it. Not only obviously shocked and upset, but also with boxes up to my eyeballs and our house in complete disarray, I scheduled the surgery a week later. Thanks to a husband who sat in the room with me for moral support during the whole procedure, and a very skilled doctor, the operation was successful, and he is quite certain the cancer was caught in time.
The moral of the story is it pays to be paranoid, I mean protective. I truly am grateful for my mother-in-law's advice in getting this mole checked out. Although I HATE the scar it has left, it is obviously better than the alternative, and Hey, on the brighter side........Bring on Halloween, I've got my Frankenstein costume already ready!! :)
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
This still brings tears to my eyes to see this! I am so sad when I see the scar on both you and Amy! But, like you said, thank goodness for Linda's persistence--I never even noticed it, sorry to say! But with her strong advice, you listened, and thank goodness the surgery went well. I think everyone in our family needs to be checked often for skin changes!
Your mother forwarded me your picture that you emailed her, and I still can't believe it! Truly, it is a good thing you listened to your mother-in-law. So sorry that you had all of that going on along with finally receiving your belongings in order to move in.
Wow, what a blessing you discovered this!!! Sorry you had to go through the experience but very grateful you are o.k.
Scary! But so glad it's gone. Hope the scar is healing okay and that you're doing well!! Makes me think I need to inspect all the moles/spots on myself!
Scary! But so glad it's gone. Hope the scar is healing okay and that you're doing well!! Makes me think I need to inspect all the moles/spots on myself!
Are you kidding? You guys need a health break!! So glad you are okay.
Post a Comment