Friday, April 15, 2011

It's Who I AM :)

When I was the Relief Society President in our branch, I would send out a weekly newsletter of the activities that would be happening during that particular week.  I also thought it would be fun to spotlight two women in each newsletter to get to know them better.  I wondered why some of the women sighed when I asked them to be the weekly "spotlight," and then they almost always said their spotlight would be the most boring.  Well, what comes around goes around, and last week they asked ME for MY spotlight. I too sighed, told them mine would be the most boring, and pathetically after SEVERAL hours of thought, I  finally came up with a list of ten things to share........

1.       I met my husband when I was 15 years old and still in junior high. (He was one of the smartest and nicest guys I knew!)  On my exact 16th birthday, I got up the nerve to ask him to a girl’s choice dance in high school.  Fast forward several years of high school, college, and after his mission---he was still one of the smartest and nicest guys I knew (and pretty darn cute too), so I asked HIM to marry ME!!
2.       I am probably one of the most girly-girl’s I know.  I love pink, frills, and could possibly break down in tears if I break a fingernail  However, having four sons, in a very male dominating home, although ironic, has by far been my greatest of happiness!!
3.       I dislike, detest, or should I say downright HATE seafood, and no matter how many times I am told “just try it”, my opinion is still the same!  Yes, this includes even the smell---disgusting!
4.       I grew up dancing, and some of my greatest memories from elementary through my late teens are “dance related.”  Several years ago, I had the opportunity to teach young girls ballet and tap dance in Northen Virginia.  It was a joy, and an opportunity to relive my youth again.
5.       I love to travel, and have enjoyed traveling the world with my family while living abroad.  However, my “perfect vacation” is planting myself and my hubby on Broadway in New York, and attending 2-3 Broadway plays a day.
6.       I’m not a great cook, nor do I particularly enjoy it.  However, while living in Paris my hubby was sweet enough to offer me cooking classes to enhance my cooking skills.  After several classes, and thousands of dollars later, sad to admit, I have only made one of the dishes I learned which is now known as “The Thousand Dollar Sweet and Sour Carrot Recipe.”
7.       I graduated from BYU in elementary education, but instead of walking to receive my diploma on graduation day, I literally waddled my way into the hospital to deliver my first son.
8.       I obviously am one of the MOST GULABLE people alive, as I have had cars and cell phones stolen, and have paid large ransoms to retrieve---PATHETIC!
9.       Before moving abroad, I was hooked on many of the reality TV shows.  However, once I moved overseas, and they were not so easily attainable, I have become “People Magazine’s” number one reader.  Every year my mom gives me a subscription for my birthday, and every week I read it from cover to cover.  If you ever want to know if any of your favorite Hollywood stars are still together, or what is new in reality TV world, I’m your girl!
10.    I went a bit unwilling on our first expat assignment to Paris.  I was even more reluctant when our next assignment was to Shanghai.  However, my most difficult move will be leaving China one day.  Looking back, these have been by far the greatest experiences and years for our family.  Years we would never trade, and will treasure forever!

5 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

Oh, these ten comments brought back so many memories. Yes, I would say this pretty well tells about "Alison." There are so many funny, unusual, exciting, and just endearing traits, but you definitely covered the highlights. I loved you putting them all in a list like this! I would love to see all the other kids do this, too.

Ang said...

So fun to learn all these new things about you! I had no idea that you asked John to marry you!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

That was so fun learning more about you, Alison! We should all write something like that. As far as your cooking goes--all I know is that when people asked Doug what meal he liked best when we traveled to Europe five years ago and stayed with you, he said Alison's!!!

molly kay said...

We just left your original neck of the woods as we just spent Spring Break with my sis in Cottonwood Heights! She lives 2 streets off of Bengal Blvd. So happy you shared your "spotlight" my friend! Didn't know you only learned ONE dish from your Parisian cooking classes! Classic. I have to say that I can't wait for you to move from China my friend- I know it will be hard though. You, Me, and Brighton have much frilly pink shopping to do! xxoo

Beverly said...

You are truly a great person to know. The important thing about what you did with this list was knowing yourself well enough and to be confident enough to not worry about expressing any strengths or weaknesses. And you do both in such an interesting way.