Friday, April 2, 2010

Forever in our Hearts

Taylia Raylene Olsen
April 27, 1974- March 27, 2010

Living in China, and being so far away from our extended family, we have become so close to so many families here in our church branch.  They have become just like our family, and we have grown to love so many of them.  The Olsen family is one of these families whom we have grown to love over the past couple years they have lived in Shanghai.  Jeff Olsen serves in the bishopric with John, and is a wonderful man with a powerful testimony of the gospel.  He served a chinese speaking mission, and has also been working as an expat here in China.   His wife Taylia was a fun-loving, wonderful friend, and a devoted wife and mother to four darling children ages 7, 5, 3 and 15 months.  I loved talking and being with Taylia because she would always say what was on her mind (ALWAYS making me laugh)!!  I appreciated that even though she didn't completely "love" living in China like most of us, she would laugh a lot about her life here, and was making the most of her experiences, while supporting her husband's dream of living in Asia.
Last weekend I received a phone call that Taylia was not well, and was being taken to the hospital by ambulance.  I volunteered to stay with her four children at their home.  When I arrived, I did not know of the severity of what was happening with Taylia until her oldest child vividly recalled what she had just witnessed take place moments earlier.  Taylia had a heart condition since birth, but this incident was very unexpected.  Along with another friend at the home, together we tried to comfort the children, and assure them that everything would be ok, and their parents would try to be home soon.  Just a few minutes later, I was able to sit with their sweet 15 month old baby and rock her to sleep when I received a phone call that I, nor anyone else who knew Taylia would ever forget.  The phone call telling us that Taylia had not made it, and was already "home."  As I held her baby and cried, I will never forget the comforting feeling I had that I knew Taylia would want all to know.....that as long as her family is safe and warm, we can all be comforted that she is too.
Since that evening almost one week ago, it has been amazing to be with the Olsen family, and witness the testimony of forever families in a perfect form.  Jeff has been incredibly strong for his children, relying on his faith and his Heavenly Father for strength.  It is evident of the truths that have been taught in their home about our belief of being together forever one day, and that this life is just a brief part of the eternal plan.  Last night, as we were able to attend a memorial service for Taylia, it was impossible for anyone in the room to not remember Taylia's sweet spirit, and how she touched so many lives here on earth.  How grateful we were to know Taylia, and to be friends with the Olsen family who have reminded us of our Heavenly Father's perfect plan of eternal life.  We love you Taylia, you will forever be in our hearts!

7 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

I could't even read this without crying. It is so difficult to see someone so young with all those little children leave so soon. But, I know the Lord will help their family out in ways that we can't even imagine at this time. We have prayed for their family ever since we heard about this.

Tami said...

Alison, I can't imagine anyone else but you putting your arms around that sweet little family while coordinating the branch family's efforts in their behalf. You have got to be exhausted... not because you ever get weary of serving but you ALWAYS go above and beyond when you do things for others and because it's been such an intensely spiritual time...wears a body down physically. You have (and are!) doing a fantastic job (as always) being the fearless leader and loving friend to everyone. Loved your tender tribute to Taylia. She will be dearly missed.

Tracey said...

I definitely want to second everything that Tami wrote. David and I were talking and he said that if that had happened to him the only ward or bbranch that he would want to be around was our one in Shanghai. You are such a great lady and I am grateful for all the updates sent to us to keep us informed. I hope you have a great Easter and get to have all the yummy candy you want!!!! :)

Ang said...

Wow, what a beautiful and sweet post to your dear friend. I can not even begin to imagine having to leave my precious little ones... even for just a short time. It sounds like the family has a lot of support from people like you. You are amazing to be there for them in their time of need.

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

I've been thinking about you since your phone call the other night. And like Mom, I couldn't read this post without crying...just thinking about those sweet children without a mom just breaks my heart. But you are right...families are forever and I have no doubt Taylia will watch over her kids just as she would, had she been here. She is lucky to have a good friend like you! I know you were inspired to call the Bishop when you did. You were guided to be there with her kids in her time of need. Hope you and Taylia's friends and family can slowly heal from this sudden and tragic loss.

xoxo,
Ames

Six Girls and One Boy said...

Alison,
Wow, reading your account of what happened just sent tingles up and down my body! That is hard to imagine a young mother being taken so early! Michele has a friend in her ward that has ovarian cancer and has only a short time left. She also has a young family. There must be something on the other side going on that needs young mothers!?! Experiences like this truly puts life in perspective.

Natalie said...

It is incredible how fragile life is. I am thankful her family has the knowledge of the gospel and wonderful friends to support them. They are in my thoughts and prayers.