Monday, April 26, 2010

Sixteen Celebrations or so it seems...

And why not??  It's a monumental year for Bracken, so everyone keep on singing "Happy Birthday"-- maybe even until his big 17.  He's definitely had celebrations and more, heard the song in both Chinese and English more than a dozen times, and believes he is dreaming the song in his sleep now.......but, deep down he loves it! 

Bracken's birthday was on Sunday, April 18th.  On his big day he was lucky enough to be attending a China-wide church youth conference.  Before the meetings began on his day, the youth joined in a "Happy Birthday" song.  Of course when Bracken got back from the conference, his dad and brothers were ready with a few good eats and a very out-of-tune birthday song.  The next morning at early morning seminary, they again celebrated Bracken's birthday with a gourmet breakfast (Thanks Parkinsons'), and the song rang out again!  Refusing to let the birthday boy enjoy his first official  "Big 16" in silence,  Mom and Preston decided one is NEVER to old for cupcakes at school!  Secretly we entered the cafeteria, found Bracken and his friends eating lunch, and presented the cupcakes along with the sophomore boys loudly serenading the tune again to him yet another time! 

Still refusing to let the birthday end, we celebrated together as a family that night, with of course our best attempt at the song.....(unfortunately, this Wilde family does not hold a tune!).


Ok, maybe our song wasn't great for him, but the gift that followed it definitely was......
Parker and Dad get all the credit for Bracken's perfect birthday gift idea....last month when we were in Hong Kong, they struck gold when they found this autographed jersey of Bracken's most favorite NBA player----Dwight Howard. They knew that besides a brand new car for a new 16-year-old, they had found the perfect gift for him.  Parker was probably just as excited to give it to his brother as Bracken was to receive it, and Bracken was thrilled to say the least!
So let the birthday celebrations continue, and if that ends, we can easily find lots of other reasons to celebrate "BRACKEN!"

4 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

Yeh, Bracken! We agree, we'll celebrate Bracken the whole year long! We can't wait until you all come to Florida, and then we can have a celebration here! We love his gift--that is soooo cool!

molly kay said...

How fun!Cupcakes at school are the best- no matter the age!I've been thinking that when you are in the states this summer, maybe just maybe you could come to my baby shower! We haven't set a date for it yet and if there was a possibility you could come- I would set the date for when you could be there!You threw me my last one 8 years ago and I would LOVE for you to be there my friend! xxoo

Tami said...

I drooled when I saw that fabulous cake that Bracken got! You're famous for cake, hope you know! Looks like Bracken is having a 16th birthday that will top all birthdays. Good! He deserves it!! Hope all went well in utah recently with the medical stuff. Come again because I'm here now and could see you! Thanks for sending the program. Wow. It turned out really well. What a nice surprise. (that you would send it and that it looked okay!) Loves and hugs to you and the fam!

The Great Lakes of NY said...

wow!!! I can't believe he's sixteen! He's so handsome. All of your boys are! Is it as crazy for you, as it is for me. Crazy can be translated to difficult. I'm not going to sugarcoat anymore!! I feel like I'm on the white roller coaster at Lagoon. Up and down, loving it, hating it. Sometimes wanting to hop right on again, sometimes wanting to just puke. I guess that's why they start out as babies. SOMEONE knew that we'd be done if they came out as teenagers. I miss you, Alice!