Friday, June 15, 2012

Goodbye Shanghai

I've known this was coming for over 3 years now.......  

In 2006, we signed a contract with Deloitte stating that John would be working in the Shanghai Deloitte office for 3 years before returning to a United States office.  However, half way into our second year in China, we already had fallen in love with Asia, and we knew 3 years was not going to be nearly long enough!!  So, after a lot of consulting between John  and the Chinese and US Deloitte offices, we were granted our wish for an extended 3 year contract---making our contract a total of 6 years. We were ecstatic to say the least!!  However, even though the Chinese firm was also elated that John would be staying for another few years, the US firm made it perfectly clear to us that because of costs associated with keeping expat families overseas, there would definitely not be any further extensions (regardless of how much begging and pleading came from the wife or sons).

So long story short, by the time the sixth year was nearing the end I should have had my emotions together. I should have been ready to say good bye to Shanghai.  I should have been looking forward to a new life in the states.  I should have been rearing to go.  But I wasn't, and I found myself tearing up at the thought of it, and truth be told, at times even sobbing.  

Until I found this profound statement by none other than Dr. Seuss......

"Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because it Happened." 

I've always loved Dr. Seuss, but this particular quote was BRILLIANT!!  I immediately posted this quote above my calendar so each day for the last four months of our remaining time in Shanghai,  I would be reminded how grateful my family and I were for being blessed with this amazing experience, and to celebrate our amazing last 6 years with smiles, not tears.

And celebrate we did!!  Good-bye parties were abundant, and celebrating friendships, memories and Shanghai life was welcomed.

Xie Jian Shanghai------TYSON



A double going away celebration.....Tyson celebrates together with his good friend Wade Moldenhauer.  Wade and his family are also our next door neighbors in Shanghai, and are also moving back to the United States.  More irony....Wade's family is not only moving to the exact same city we are in San Francisco, but Wade and Tyson will be attending the same middle school together as well.  Taking a little Shanghai to San Francisco....what could be better!!!




 Xia Jian Deloitte Shanghai

John's coworkers threw him a going away party that to both John and I, will be impossible to forget.  John came to respect and care deeply about so many of his employees, and it was easy to see why.  What John will NEVER tell anyone that wasn't there, were the words that were spoken of him that evening.  Handfuls of employees stood and paid tribute to John, and honored him for not only his professional skills, but even more meaningful to me, were the tributes paid to him for the love and priority he had for his family.  Our Deloitte family we will surely miss!!
















 Xie Jian Friends, Neighbors, Community and Branch Family









Xie Jian to the sweetest, most special friend our family will ever be indebted to.....HUA LI--We will NEVER forget you!!





And just like that......our Shanghai days were over, we said goodbye, but we will continue to remember and SMILE!!







4 comments:

Laura Copeland said...

This brought a lump to my throat! I think I learned to love the people and your home in Shanghai almost as much as your family did. I will miss all the absolutely true friends you made there--there just can't be more genuine people in the world than the people you met there. Your memories of Shanghai will forever bring smiles after the tears!

Laura Copeland said...

I, also, forgot to say how much I know they will miss him at Deloitte Shanghai. John worked so hard there and put his whole heart and soul into doing an amazing job. You guys looked so good at the party! Were you on a boat or on the edge of the river?

Six Girls and One Boy said...

That would have been hard to leave someplace you have lived for that many years! By the looks of things, you and your family will definitely be missed. Shanghai has definitely been a defining time for your family.

I lOVE the Dr. Seuss quote!

Brooke Romney said...

I'm tearing up. I hate good byes!